24 Feb 5 ways to lead a fulfilling life
I was reading at the weekend an article that I really want to share with you. It’s about the top 5 regrets of the dying – it may not sound like the happiest topic but I found it really inspiring and who better to take advice on life from than someone who is at the end of theirs?
The article was based on a new book by Bronnie Ware, an Australian palliative carer, who had been writing a blog about her experiences caring for the dying. There are some very touching and personal stories shared, but I’m just going to cover the 5 regrets here and ask you to consider how they touch your life at the moment.
- I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me
- I wish I hadn’t worked so hard
- I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings
- I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends
- I wish I’d let myself be happier
Do any of these touch a nerve with you? Do you want to work right now on shifting some areas of your life so that you don’t find yourself feeling these regrets?
On point 5, Bronnie says that many of her patients did not realise until it was too late that happiness is a choice. What do you think about this? Do you agree that happiness is a choice or not?
So, if we turn these regrets around into positive statements, they give us 5 ways to lead a fulfilling life and, when our life is coming to an end, how fantastic to feel that you have no regrets.
- Live a life true to yourself, not what others expect of you
- Don’t work too hard
- Express your feelings
- Stay in touch with friends
- Let yourself be happy
They sound very simple when put like this, but the reality is that you may have years of not doing these things that needs to be undone. You may even have lost touch with what being true to yourself is, or what happiness means to you.
Please, unless you are confident you are already living your life in this way, start taking some action now to move towards it. Small steps can often be easier at first, but do something.
Working with a coach can help hugely in this process, in helping to you to get back in touch with yourself, what’s important to you and moving forward to living the life you want. Please contact me for a complimentary chemistry session if you would like to discuss this further and see how I can support you in leading the life you desire.
Take action, don’t live with regret.
Latest posts by Alison Bradford (see all)
- The next step to increasing profit in your business - November 25, 2022
- Simple ways to increase your profit in your business - November 17, 2022
- Simple ways to increase your business’s profit (and keep the heating on!) - November 10, 2022